CAPE CANAVERAL (CBSMiami/AP) — Astronauts on the International Space Station were able traced smoke and a burning smell to a malfunctioning water heater in the galley.
NASA said there wasn’t enough smoke to trigger the alarms on Tuesday or warrant the use of masks by the six-man crew. The smoke came from a vent and dissipated within a half-hour or so.
Commander Steven Swanson says there was only a small amount of smoke and everyone was fine.
The astronauts quickly disconnected the electric water-heating unit and activated air purifiers in the Zvezda compartment, Russian for star.
On Wednesday, the astronauts installed a spare unit. NASA says it’s working normally.
A similar problem occurred in 2009.
The astronauts say they didn’t see anything unusual with the removed device.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting…
View original post 26 more words